Feb 26, 2018

Aside - The State of Things

Man, I really shit the bed on the last one, didn't I? There was a time when I could pound story chapters for the whole month and still have loads left in the tank at the end of the month. Now, I started the last story sometime around March 2017 and I finished it in Feb 2018. That's almost a full year and not enough posts.

I don't have any excuses for this. That's just what happens when life decides to stick its dick in your business. As it does. Always. There was work and more work to do and somewhere the story, even though finished somewhere around November last year, did not get posted till Feb.

I have been really really busy. It's not easy trying to make your bread and butter with words when every second fucker thinks he is the best shit since Shakespeare. But it's not that difficult either. You put in the work, you put in the time, you grind your fingertips to stumps and you reap beautiful, succulent rewards, too.

I am a firm believer in progress. I will take clawing, biting, howling progress of minuscule proportions over standing still in one place. Even if you move an inch in the right direction, you are still moving, you are not standing still and rotting. And if you are moving, maybe one day you will grow wings and fly. You have to keep hammering at your rocks because you never know when you will break through to the other side. Eyes on the prize, as they say.

Of course, it might sound like all goody goody motivational bullshit but so what if it is? Take what works for you, discard the rest, build your own code. And stick to it.

The world that we live in these days is strange and it's going to get even stranger. There is an edge to every word, every gesture is loaded with hidden agendas and people wear masks beneath their masks, so what is the hope of finding anything pure and simple now? None.

We take what is given and we work with it. We make the best of what we have and we keep our eyes firmly fixed on the goal.

So, where do we go from here?

I wish I fucking knew. But we are going somewhere that's not here.

We are not standing still.

1 comment:

  1. Better to take a leap in the dark and go somewhere, than to stay put and rot.

    You keep going my friend. Looking forward to more stuff from you.

    Cheers,
    CRD

    Check out my latest post. Hope you like it.

    The Greatest LOU Songs of all Time

    ReplyDelete