Dec 20, 2016

Bundled

Mr. Kosmos woke up and a headache was spreading through his head into his body. The pain pulsed with an intensity that was beyond anything he had ever imagined. Jester sat in front of him, straddling a chair.

He had a bundle lying at his feet. It looked like skin. Repulsed, Mr. Kosmos realized it was skin. A feeling like a song rushed through his head. His black card was in there.

"Where's my mother?" He asked.

"She's here. Tied in the other room. You woke up earlier so I thought I'd have a little chat with you."

"Chat? I don't think I want to talk to you. You people came after me, all I did was retaliate."

"It's not that simple, Nikolai." Jester sighed. "You fucked with the wrong people when you kept that card on you."

"The card chose me! It stayed with me out of its own accord."

"You don't get it, man. Do you? There are powers behind your understanding out there. And keeping this card means calling their attention to you. You saw the Mongrifier , didn't you? There are worse things that come attached to this card."

"I fought that beast and I can fight others too once I have the card."

"You're not getting it. Plain and simple. I was tasked with getting the card and then driving a spike through your heart."

Mr. Kosmos just stared at Jester. He was alive, for now. And that meant he was still useful. For what purpose, he didn't know, but he wanted to keep it that way.

“Figured it out yet? You were right when you said the card chose you. I've tried and Lisa has tried but we can't make the card do what you can make it do. We need someone who can shift through timelines. There are things brewing in the background. World, or shall I say worlds are at risk. And, regrettably, we need your help.”

“Oh, yeah? Well, that's cool. I am game to help you people. Just give me the card.”

“I'll give you the card and something else with it too.”

“Bring it on, then.”

“I'm giving you my word. Fuck this up, and I will hunt you down through time and space and put a fucking spike in your chest. And I don't break my word for anyone. Are we clear on this?”

“Crystal. I don't fuck up helping you people and I get to go scot free once this is over.”

“More or less.”

“Please, elaborate on the less part.”

Jester squeezed his temples with his fingers. This was giving him a headache.

“I'll explain everything if you only promise to go with the flow on this one.”

“Sure. Can I get the card now?”

Jester took out his knife and sliced the threads that tied the bundle together. He took out the card and held it above Mr. Kosmos' waiting hand.

“Don't make me regret this, Nikolai.”

Mr. Kosmos just smiled and snatched the card. He felt the rush of power surge through him like a drug. The card whispered to him like a lover and he needed the love.

Everything was going to be just fine.

Absolutely fine.

-----
Fin. For now. Some epilogue shit tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment